Monday, August 21, 2006

Misc from the last day of the IJK

On the last day I discovered the 2 litre bottles of local beer.



Here I am trying it for the first time. Not bad for a beer out of a plastic bottle.

Discovered the spot where Gavril the anarchist assassinated Archduke Ferdinand and his wife.




Somehow I didn't feel inspired to ham it up and act like an anarchist wearing a cape and throwing a bomb with a burning fuse.

I wonged in on some guided tour of the city that had just reached this spot. So I picked up quite a bit of extra info. Plus I had access to a few other tourists to take this photo for me. It's actually quite sobering to stand on that spot and consider what happened there. Though I had thought that everyone was lining the route where royalty was passing but it turns out that there had already been a few assassination attempts that day and the Archduke was off to visit the wounded and the driver took a wrong turn and Gavril just happened to be there at the right time.

Checked out the local park in the centre of the city.



Nothing spectacular. The grass could do with a bit of a trim. There was a fair bit of coupling going on and there were a few blokes with those spinning things on string between two sticks. Someone asked them what the point of it is... something I've sometimes wondered myself.

A game of chess in front of some huge sculpture.



I wonder whether the sculpture inspired them at all? I doubt it. I think that huge sculptures amongst pretty impersonal housing is not a good combination.

Snap of the number 3 tram.



This tram which went from the congress venue to the old town was free for all congress attendees. Considering the low cost of the congress and the high cost of the tram tickets, I don't think it would be too difficult to make a profit out of it all by riding the tram heaps. I think if anyone tried to ride for nothing the chance of getting caught would be about 50-50. I've never seen so many ticket-inspectors. Someone pointed out to me that it might actually be the high rate of ticket-inspection that has created such a high ticket price.

I had to include a pic of these two.



I chatted with them most days. I'm not sure whether the others were under instructions not to talk to anyone not wearing the official I am an Esperanitist sign around their neck but if they were these two certainly disobeyed orders. I'm sure we'll run into them again in Australia or Korea or France or somewhere.

Not sure that everyone's ready for this pic but it's a typical Bosnian toilet.



A porcelained hole in the ground. Probably removes the temptation to take a book or two with you to the bog. You wouldn't want to get too engrossed in your book and forget where you were and relax and fall backwards - engrossed indeed!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home