Monday, August 14, 2006

Tuesday at the IJK

Decided to go into town. Wandered past the congress venue to see what was going on and ran into a German woman who was also heading into town so we went in together. Pretty handy for me as she knew which bus to take and had some idea of the things to look out for.


Here I am tentatively leaning into the street to have my photo taken. This is the pose I adopted after the first time I ventured into the street a tram very nearly ran up my arse. Unfortunately my photographer didn't recognise the good photo opportunity. The minaret nearly sticking out of my head is just one of a huge number in Sarajevo.


The old town is pretty small with the inevitable proliferation of souvenir shops. But then again even in Hobart we have the same thing in Salamanca which is pretty much for tourists. After all who says to himself Ah, I've got some time to spare today, I think I'll go and buy myself a Huon Pine letter opener? We accept that but are a bit more intolerant when we find something similar overseas.


We'd just started walking uphill to check out the suburbs when the call to prayer started from the minaret. Luckily I happened to have a skull-cap in my back-pack so I simply gave into the urge to prostrate myself - not sure in which direction Mecca was though.

We wandered into the suburbs. It really is amazing how many mosques there are here. Some just a few blocks apart. I suppose when it's this hilly you can't expect everyone to treck into town to pray.

Concert by a famous Esperanto singer at 8:30. I was intending not to go as I felt it over the top to not sign up for the IJK and then still go to the concert.

Well, it turned out the concert was in an outside venue where I usually sit and drink, so I really had no choice but to listen.

The singer, JoMo is French I think and is one of the most well-known Esperanto singers. I'm not convinced that as a singer he's that remarkable, but he certainly belts out a good rhythm with his guitar and above all his repetoire is chosen extremely well. His repetoire seems to contain all the catchy songs from all over the world. He certainly had everyone dancing and joining in. I hope they pay him plenty because he deserves it.

All in all one of the highlights of the IJK. I'd definitely pay just for the concert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home