Monday, September 04, 2006

Ohrid

View as I was walking into town.



Met up with the one of the local Esperantists. She has rooms to let at her home but seeing all the rooms have en suite and she has 8 them, one could say that she has a small hotel.

The view from the front garden where the paying customers were was glorious. One could sit there all day having a beer just looking out over the water. Definitely the best spot of the trip. And a hundred times better than my hotel.



I eventually met another couple of Esperantists. One of these is my first hot-pants wearing Esperantist. She works in a bar so it was a nice touch to wander into a bar and have someone greet you with saluton.



I couldn't resist it, Just bought myself yet another t-shirt. Sitting having a beer in front of a pretty impressive church overlooking the lake. Bit touristy but at least they all seem to ba locals or at least Slavs. Well it all comes down the the fact that if they humour me and speak to me in Macedonian they're cool and so are the souvenirs, but if they insist on English then it loses its attraction.

Ohrid even has an ancient amphitheatre ...



... and a pretty impressive looking castle.



Sat outside this picturesque church having a beer. That's what Australia needs - more churches with accompanying bar.



No doubt about it, Ohrid is a great spot.

(What about my complaints from yesterday? The mosquitoes aren't so bad if you turn off the light and close the window, the rubbish is collected each day, I haven't heard anything from the other side of the lake after yesterday and it's so warm there's no need for a blanket.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home