Monday, September 04, 2006

'bye to Prilep

Prilep is on a plain, a long way from the sea and the temperature's over 40 degrees - in fact it's one of the hottest days of the year for them so it's a scorcher. Wish I could just sit back in Prilep for another couple of days and relax and have a few drinks in one of their many cafes, but I have to move on.

Three of the youth group came to see us off at the bus station. Very pleasant Esperantists they are too. As long as we have the likes of them Esperanto deserves to survive.



The bus broke down three times on the way to Ohrid. We ended up having to walk the last couple of hundred metres and I suppose it would have been more if there hadn't been a huge long down-hill stretch which we were able to coast down engine-less for several minutes.

We arrived at night so I haven't seen anything of the town but so far I'm not impressed. The hotelroom is a bit run-down, they have weird Soviet style blankets with some strange diamond-shaped hole in the middle of the sheet, the sheet over the mattress is too short.

I asked for directions into town and the way turned out to be through a badly lit wooded area so it was an impossible task, the litter for a change seems to be in or around the litter bins but they don't seem to have been emptied for a while, the amusement park on the other side of the lake is so loud I can hear it from here, and there are mosquitoes in my room - but apart from that Ohrid is great.

I'm hoping it looks better during the day. Oh, and I phoned one of the local Esperantists and she doesn't seem to speak Esperanto at all and said I'd have to speak English. Does that mean English is ok but Bulgarian (which is mutually comprehensible with Macedonian) is not? I'm obviously not impressed so far.

I'd better reserve all further judgement till the morning - if the mosquitoes haven't sucked me dry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home