Monday, September 04, 2006

Nunnery

We started the day by walking up to the top of one of the nearby peaks on top of which are the ruins of some famous fortress - well, famous amongst Slavs anyhow.

Also nearby were ancient graves that had been hewn out of the rock. I thought I'd try one for size.



Pretty uncomfortable though - I wouldn't want to be dead for long in one of these.

This being Macedonia, on the way back down round the other side, we came across one of those monasteries built into the mountain-side.





There was a young woman nun outside (she was rather pretty but I didn't think I should be asking for a close-up) ....



Our Macedonian asked whether we could get permission to view the nunnery side. She said she'd go and ask but the answer was no. Not surprising seeing I had shorts on. That's the last thing the nuns need - to see my legs. Or maybe mother superior had spotted me trying on a fig-leaf for size and realised we hadn't come to pray...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home